
In the wake of the Butaleja Woman MP’s death, several MPs now question whatever they eat, where it comes from, and who serves it. They are eaten up by the fear of being poisoned.
“Where will I eat? I have spent the
whole day without eating anything. I don’t know who can give me
something to eat if it is not coming from my wife,” Lwemiyaga County MP
Theodore Ssekikubo was overheard lamenting on Tuesday.
Ssekikubo was talking to his colleagues
Henry Musasizi (Rubanda East), Wilfred Niwagaba (Ndorwa East), Michael
Mawanda (Igara East) and Freda Mubanda (Masaka Woman) at Parliament.
Nebanda was one of the ruling party MPs labelled “rebels” for so often
taking positions that were contrary to the wishes of their party, NRM.
This label has also been applied to Ssekikubo, Niwagaba and Kampala
Central’s Muhammad Nsereko, among others.
“Are we safe? Who is going next? Who is killing us? Who should I trust?” Ssekikubo asked his colleagues.
Some “rebel” MPs are reportedly trying
to change their drivers and/or restrict their interaction with strangers
to enhance their security. On Tuesday, Masaka Woman MP, Freda Mubanda,
seemed particularly worried.
“I don’t know what we are going to do because this situation is very scary,” Mubanda told Ssekikubo.
Although she is considered a moderate in
the NRM, Mubanda exhibited her rebellious streak two weeks ago during
the NRM caucus meeting when she voted against President Museveni’s view
on the controversial clause 9 of the just-passed oil bill. Responding to
Mubanda, Ssekikubo advised her and other colleagues to stop eating from
public places, to restrict their movements, and tighten security at
their residences.
The Observer has learnt that the MPs are
planning a special meeting of all alternative voices in the NRM, who
Ssekikubo now believes are possible targets.
“Sseki… I think we should abandon that
hotel we have been using,” Niwagaba said, to which Ssekikubo responded,
“It is for us to be aware that we are being targeted by many elements.”
Another independent-minded NRM lawmaker,
Barnabas Tinkasiimire (Buyaga West), said he had been getting threats
over his work, adding that Nebanda’s death had confirmed to him some
people are after his life and that of his colleagues.
“The views we are advancing have made us
victims and our friend has so far paid the price,” said Tinkasiimire,
who told The Observer that he had reported the threats to security
agencies.
Recently, Makindye West MP Hussein
Kyanjo, who has been ill since March, said he feared he could have been
poisoned. He said poisoning was one of the causes of Dystonia of the
tongue, the disease afflicting him.
“Medical doctors examined the cause and poisoning was the only option left to have caused this,” Kyanjo said.
In honour of Nebanda during a special
parliamentary session last Friday, Kyanjo strongly urged fellow MPs to
be careful with their life because bad-intentioned people are itching to
finish them off.
“Sorry I’m not going to explain to you
in details because I’m weak but my heart is with everybody, but be
careful with your life, be careful with the small snacks, be careful
with everybody…” he said.
The junior minister for Primary Health
Care, Sarah Opendi, had a word of caution too. “Members, safeguard your
life jealously and don’t trust anybody around you”.
However, in an earlier interview with
The Observer MP Niwagaba said people had lost trust in the government
largely because: “…they have been threatening us and maybe if they rebut
this by telling us what led to the death of Nebanda…”
However, Bufumbira East MP Eddie Kwizera
was more cautious. “We should not just move with public opinion. We
need the facts and this can only be got from thorough investigations of
the death and other threats,” he said.
Kwizera added that attacks on lawmakers
could not only come from the executive. “We examine actions of many
people, including private companies. So, they can also form the
intention of killing us if we make laws or resolutions that affect them.
So, it is only wise for all my colleagues to be careful with their
security,” he said.
Canteen changes
The MPs’ fears come at a time when the
security at Parliament has just been strengthened after the
Parliamentary Commission upgraded the former police station to a
directorate. When we contacted the Assistant Inspector General of
Police, Lemmy Twinomugisha, who currently heads the directorate, he
refused to give us a comment.
“I am not ready for that,” he told The Observer.
However, Ssekikubo says the development doesn’t count for much.
“Nebanda was killed, where were they to protect her?”
However, Ssekikubo says the development doesn’t count for much.
“Nebanda was killed, where were they to protect her?”
Despite their fears, the MPs have vowed to remain resolute in their work.
“Even if they kill some of us or intimidate us, we shall continue to advocate for good governance and democracy,” Niwagaba said.
The Observer understands that the
Parliament canteen has stopped giving packed food to lawmakers.
“Everyone wants a buffet and some have even stopped taking tea from
here,” said a canteen worker.

No comments:
Post a Comment