Monday, December 24, 2012

Detained Sylvestre Onzivua doctor speaks out on Nebanda

Consultant pathologist Sylvestre Onzivua shortl yesterday.
Consultant pathologist Sylvestre Onzivua shortl yesterday
KAMPALA
Dr Sylvestre Onzivua, the forensic pathologist detained over his involvement in the post-mortem examination of former Butaleja Woman MP Cerinah Nebanda, has spoken out for the first time. In an exclusive interview with the Daily Monitor yesterday, the consultant said allegations by police that he attempted to smuggle irregularly-acquired specimens of Nebanda’s body are spurious and manifest dishonesty.
“I did not obtain the specimens irregularly. I worked with a team of other pathologists; we would cut a body part and extract the specimen, and then put in one bottle for the Government Analytical Laboratory and another in [a different] bottle for independent investigations,” he said.
Got specimen
“The bottles, in which the specimens were put, including the ones given to me, were issued by police from their small office in [Mulago Hospital] mortuary.” He said he assumed custody of the specimens meant for independent tests immediately after Saturday’s post-mortem at Mulago National Referral Hospital.
Parliament contracted Dr Onzivua to independently establish the actual cause of Nebanda’s sudden demise last Friday after preliminary findings showed she died of multiple organ failure likely triggered by the onset of a toxic chemical substance.
The bereaved family alleges foul play. President Museveni said his government was not responsible for the death, and anyone spreading such rumours would be arrested. He promised a full investigation to establish the truth.
In yesterday’s interview, Dr Onzivua said he, together with Police surgeon Moses Byaruhanga and lead pathologist Prof. Henry Wabinga, removed samples from the deceased’s body organs. The extracted specimens were, according to parliamentary commissioner Chris Baryomunsi, separately given to the chief government chemist and Dr Onzivua for independent inquiries.
Police officers, a representative of the bereaved family, and Parliament agreed on the arrangement, Dr Baryomunsi told the House during Tuesday’s heated debate to honour the fallen legislator. Security operatives intercepted Dr Onzivua on Tuesday as he boarded a Johannesburg-bound South African Airlines plane, saying he had a case to answer.
They took him to Wandegeya Police station, on city’s northern outskirt, before forcibly dispossessing him of the specimens. He was later detained at the Police Special Investigations Unit headquarters in Kireka, Wakiso District.
“I don’t still understand why I was arrested,” the forensic toxicologist told this newspaper. “I do my work professionally [and in this case], I was contracted formally by Parliament and authorised by the Ministry [of Health] to travel to South Africa.”
Outside Kireka police station, lawmakers led by Public Accounts Committee chairman Kassiano Wadri, said they were unable to discern the continued incarceration of Dr Onzivua and the reasons for SIU commander, Ms Beata Chelimo, to abandon station the whole of yesterday. Detectives this newspaper spoke to said they were acting on “orders from above”, but gave no specifics.
Dr Onzivua’s ordeal
When I was arrested, they drove me around the city and we ended up at Wandegeya Police Station. While there, they forced me to surrender the specimen. I declined because as a professional, I could not guarantee the integrity of the specimen, which would not be in my possession. All the same, they took it by force. I did not sign anything or document showing I gave them the specimen. Maybe, the samples are already compromised.
It is not true as alleged by police that I obtained the specimens irregularly. I worked with a team of other pathologists; we would cut a body part and extract the specimen then put it in one bottle for the Government Analytical Laboratory, and another in the bottle for independent investigations. The bottles, in which the specimens were put, including the ones given to me, were issued by police from their small office in the mortuary.
So, what did I do wrong? I was formally engaged by Parliament and duly authorised by the Ministry of Health [see letter above] to take the specimens to South Africa.

I was brought here [Police Special Investigations Unit (SIU) headquarters in Kireka] at around 2pm. They just kept me around, moving me from one office to another. I spent the night seated on chairs [in a room adjacent to the deputy commander officer’s office]. But I am fine, although I do not still understand why I was arrested. [His lawyers Abdu Katuntu and Renato Kania separately said police had changed position to say the forensic toxicologist was now being investigated for abuse of office].
If I am to join a [toxicological investigative] team, where shall we get new specimens from? When you introduce formaldehyde to the body [during embalming], it compromises investigations, it becomes difficult to establish the cause of death. But I will offer my professional guidance when required.
I do my work professionally and had just returned from South Africa where I, and a team of other experts, did examinations on bodies of African National Congress (ANC) people exhumed after 20 years.
I managed to convince that team of experts and they accepted to come and help in finding out about [burial place of and cause of death of former chief justice Benedicto Kiwanuka].”


No comments: